also for viewing

check out my video haikus
and slideshow videos on youtube at "junahsowojayboda"


Thursday, September 19, 2013

I fell in, to religion * 9/19/13


Early on, I fell in to religion and felt like
I had an extra invisible look-after-me limb.
I fell in to religion and, at times, it seemed
like my thoughts were somehow uplifted,
and often I knew that the assistance
from the Kleenex of religion
was just a thought away.
It was as if religious thoughts
of mine, had that power from within.
I fell in to religion as the name given to
one of my more prominent inner voices.
In the beginning, I fell in to religion  
as my first invisible playmate
and then later my first imaginary pet,
and also as if I was to only play
with dressing up spiritual perceptions
in religious clothing.
I had religion to answer for me questions
I could hardly formulate on my own.
I fell in to religion in search for
the commonness we could share,
as a form of shared behavior approval.
It was as if I lived in a cul-de-sac
of safeness as a set of belief conclusions,
and as a way of interpretatively cauterizing
high inner experiences with others.
Further more, it felt as though
I had some magical wiper blades
to handle my consternations with life.
I fell in to religion as the only way
to hold a menu at the restaurant
that serves humble and grateful,
also as a means to look away,
far above and away,
from what I couldn’t fathom as true.
It was surely a means to emotional shortcuts.
Later on, I fell in to religion as an unintended  Machiavellian experiment with my own life.
I had religion as a means
of civic participation with others of like kind.
It was a way to avoid original thinking
and leisure myself in these deck chairs
of religious thought at sea.
I fell in to religion, to my eventual discovery,
as naivety was my embarrassing source,
up until then I could only tell spirit
as either devil or saint.
I fell in to religion
not realizing the terms of engagement
and then, once I did, it got very lonely
in this over crowded place
with a set of assumptions given to me
from those who went before me.                          
I fell in to religion as a form of all-purpose glue
to piece together and defend myself
with what I could not rightfully understand.
Yes, I fell in to this religious well
as if it were well worth the drinking.
And now, going forward,  
I toast from an empty glass,
“to spirit, ever onward . . .”


No comments:

Post a Comment