also for viewing

check out my video haikus
and slideshow videos on youtube at "junahsowojayboda"


Friday, June 22, 2012

Attention and attending * 6/22/12

Attention or attending,

which came first?

Is this a chicken-egg conundrum?

Is it that you had to have attention

to see if you were actually attending?

Or, is it that you had to attend

to attention to make sure it was so?

So, without really asking

which is sort of like a self-dare,

how do you come upon this

without really calling

either one of them out?

Where would you go in your person

to secretly sneak back and observe

without either one of them noticing.

Go ahead and try it!

(So if I am attending to my attention,

my attention is on attending.

And if my attention is on attending,

then it takes my attending

to realize the benefits

of attention at work.

But if I don’t have attention

on attending

then the rigor of attending

does not work.)

No matter what, either one

or both, are somehow

standing behind me

real quiet like, trying to help,

not knowing what

slippery slope I am up to

but still handing me bits and pieces

without the slightest

self-conscious clue!

They are like Siamese twins,

conjoined at the mind

and I have no linear clue

as how to

surgically alter their situation.

No matter how small

of an increment of one

I can make clear to myself,

somehow, there is a smaller element

at work in there of the other.

Attention and attending,

they’re quite separate and unique,

but damn if I know

which comes first!

No comments:

Post a Comment