also for viewing

check out my video haikus
and slideshow videos on youtube at "junahsowojayboda"


Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Mary Kathryn Murphy part 4 of 4

(Remembrances from around fifty,

spent a day with her,

she was around eighty)

I found her to be

self-captive,

still waiting for God

to take her in the night,

with shuffled memories

and fading causes.

She was unrevealing

and repeating,

present but only in passing

and very settled in her story.

She had no real inquiry

and a peculiar attention

to her perception.

She was still wanting God to . . .

She had written notes

and directions for her death,

(kept under her pillow at night).

She was chillingly unaffected,

reporting as a soloist,

many opinions as before

but hollow within her now.

Her home residence

stares back at her separateness.

I, as a son,

am a distant third person

never to return.

There is now a wounded child

of her, without disguise.

She is less caution with less clarity.

She is living in the aftereffects

and the physical nuisance pains.

She at times was hardly here

in the same room.

I am rarely addressed

in the present by her.

She had limited conveyance

and little natural nurturance

or warmth to give or reflect,

not cold but dormant

and long gone.

She was somewhat pleasant

as a means but withdrawn.

There were things

still to complete

but nothing formal

or here in her words.

Upon finally leaving

after most of a day with her,

I felt a strong sense

of not seeing her alive again,

and this was so.

She did looked out

from her window then

but did not make eye contact

in parting.

For me,

it was conclusively inconclusive

same as many times for me before.

She is a child of the light

in a lifetime of difficulty

and her private longing

for herself, however insular,

was a remedy.

All mothers have profound impact

on their kids

even if inadvertent

by actions or by ambience.

I shall carry her life,

all of what I know

and feel from her

within me,

forward and forever

in my folds . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment