also for viewing

check out my video haikus
and slideshow videos on youtube at "junahsowojayboda"


Sunday, February 6, 2011

When friend becomes a brand

When did this happen?

Exactly when did this

really happen?

When did I cross that line?

When did a friend of mine

become a brand in my mind?

I lost a dear friend

but gained an associative status

to a celebrity?

I became an enabler

to support my perception.

Am I always upping the story

to keep the buzz going

therefore perceiving myself

as relevant?

I don’t know you any more

but I know of you, well.

I hear what you say

because eventually it gets

back to me.

We don’t talk any more.

I just listen

to what you have to say.

When you are here

I always feel

you are on your way

to someplace else.

I have a sense of audience

in your presence.

You have become

a walking endorsement

for product placements

in my mind.

If you were wearing a mic

or had a small video camera

some where on you,
I now wouldn’t be so surprised.

Our extended conversations

feel like the first five minutes

repeated over and over.

If you carried

several sharpies with you

I could easily imagine why.

Even when it is just

the two of us,

I feel like

we are on a larger stage.

If something of actual meaning

happened to you,

I would expect to read about it

on the web.

My sense of confiding in you

would be like

my graffiti on a billboard.

It would seem to me

that the volume of your voice

is always several decibels

louder than mine

no matter the tone or inflection.

It’s like I am in a reality soap

to an audience

I can’t really picture.

The next time I expect

hear from you,

it will be more like an interview

and if I actually see you,

it will be a matter of time.

My intimacy with you

has been usurped by

places to go and people to see.

Is this a facebook

or a twitter thing?

No comments:

Post a Comment